Produced in 1879 when J.W. Scott, a prominent numismatist at the time purchased the original Confederate half dollar die from Ebenezer Locke Mason. Mason, in turn, purchased it from the former chief coiner of the New Orleans Mint, Dr. B. F. Taylor. Upon his purchase of the die, Scott produced 500 Confederate Half Dollar Restrikes by plaining the reverse off 1861-dated half dollars. Scott then produced 500 of these "store card" tokens in white metal.